Two New England states are home to the most active cities, according to Fitbit's 2017 Year in Review.
The activity tracker company analyzed data from more than 3.5 million users and ranked cities based on average daily steps, average number of daily active minutes and average hours slept per night from active Fitbit users between Nov. 2016 to October 2017. Boston, Mass., and Manchester, N.H., both took the No. 1 spot.
Madison, Wis., Portland and Auburn, Maine, and Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn. followed behind. According to the report, Fitbit users around the world took more than 45 trillion steps in 2017 and the most active day for Americans is New Year's Eve.
Most active cities:
1. Boston, Mass., and Manchester, N.H.
2. Madison, Wis.
3. Portland and Auburn, Maine
4. Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minn.
5. Denver, Colo.
6. Rochester, N.Y.
7. Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Iowa City and Dubuque, Iowa
Fitbit also ranked countries by average daily steps. Hong Kong took the top spot with residents taking 9.6K average steps. The U.S. came in at No. 20, behind Canada.
Countries ranked by average daily steps:
1. Hong Kong
7. United Kingdom
8. Hartford and New Haven, Conn.
9. Yakima, Pasco, Richland and Kennewick, Wa.
10. Albany, Schenectady and Troy, N.Y.